Wednesday 27 April 2016

Michael Phelps Opens Up About Alcohol Struggles

michael phelps
  Michael Phelps gets candid in a "Today" interview he gives Matt Lauer regarding his struggles with alcohol.
According to People, the 22-time Olympic gold medal swimmer brought up his mother, Debbie Phelps. She was affected by the two DUIs that her son was arrested for.

   Phelps says in one piece of the interview that there was a time he didn't want to see another day.
"I think my mom was happy that I was alive because I think she saw the path I was going down," Phelps said. "I think a lot of people close to me saw it. And I was going fast. Fast. Honestly, at one point I felt like I didn't want to see another day."

Phelps was first arrested in 2004 and again in 2014. The second DUI resulted in the 30-year-old being suspended from competition for 6 months and a 6-week stay in rehab.
Things are on the upswing for Michael Phelps now. He got his act together and is now engaged to Nicole Johnson and expecting a baby.

 "I would just like to really thank the people who stood by me through everything, the ups and the downs," Phelps said before a crowd at the Golden Goggle Awards. "Without you, I don't know if I would be alive today."
Phelps is in the middle of training for the Summer Olympics to be held in Rio in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment