Monday 27 June 2016

Lionel Messi quits Argentina team after losing third final in three years

Lionel Messi retired from international duty after missing in a penalty shootout in the Copa America finalĀ 


'That's it. It's over for me with the national team,' he explained.
'It's not for me. That's four finals. The decision has been made, I think so. [Winning] is what I wanted most. It didn't come. I think that's it. That's how I feel now, what I think. It's a great sadness. It hurts not to be a champion.'

 Messi may yet change his mind, but for now the constant disappointment with his national side and his long-term discontent with the AFA (Argentine Football Association) have led to this reaction.
Sergio Aguero revealed that other players could be considering their futures with the side too, and Sportsmail have learned Javier Mascherano could be one of the stars who may quit. 
Messi cut a dejected figure after Argentina's trophy drought had been extended to 23 years

The five-time world player of the year has failed to get his hands on any silverware with Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment